How to make the rice:
In a pot boil 1 cup of *sushi rice with 2 1/2 cups water. Allow to boil until the water is nearly gone. Turn off the heat, put a lid on it and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Add a pinch of sugar, salt and 3 tbsp vinegar. Mix through and allow to cool.
*sushi rice is a short grain white rice. Short grain rice is higher in amylopectin than long grain rice (and lower in amylose). Amylopectin makes the rice sticky which is important for sushi, or it all falls apart.
When the rice has cooled you will need:
- a sushi rice roller (a wee wooden mat that helps you roll the sushi)
- nori sheets
- thinly sliced cucumber, carrot, capsicum, avocado (or whatever else you fancy)
- thin pieces of smoked salmon, raw salmon, tinned tuna, cooked chicken in tamari or soy sauce.
- Any other ingredients you want to add – in our ones pictured we had sour cream chicken, cucumber, avocado. The other ones have grated purple carrot and beetroot.
- Place a piece of nori (rough side up) on the sushi rice roller
- Spread rice on the nori so side to side the rice goes to the end of the nori. Bottom to top needs 1 to 2 inches of spare nori to help it stick when you roll it.
- Place your filling ingredients in the middle of the rice so they go length ways.
- Roll the sushi from to to bottom – you need to make sure it’s rolled tightly enough so the sushi can hold together.