Butter is so expensive and it’s not likely to get any cheaper due to high demand and lower availability – so much for living in the land of milk and honey!
I’m not about to start eating margarine, so I made my own butter today.
This is how you make butter in 5 easy steps.
1. Get 500ml of cream + salt and put in a large bowl or food processor.
2. Beat cream with food processor or electric egg beaters for 5 ish minutes or until it starts to separate (you get a whiteish liquid and yellow lumps)
3. Add 1/4 cup iced cold water, this helps to pull the water out of the butter
4. Using a sieve, drain off the liquid (buttermilk). Keep beating and draining, until thick and smooth.
5. Pat the butter, so its smooth and to help get the rest of the buttermilk out (the more you get out, the longer it will keep in the fridge.
Cost $3.50 for around 300 grams of butter + 1 cup of buttermilk, which is excellent in pancakes and baking.
Time in the kitchen: 5 – 10 minutes
Real food win 😍😍😍